Half of Brits don’t think they need a carbon monoxide detector
Published: 10 January 2018 - Sarah Mead
Households are putting themselves at risk despite owning appliances linked to carbon monoxide leaks.
According to research, 36 per cent of households in Britain don’t have carbon monoxide detectors installed despite the risks caused by standard household appliances such as gas stoves, gas boilers and ovens. The new research from online electrical retailer, reichelt elektronik
, shows Brits are unnecessarily putting themselves at risk.
Also, 52 per cent of those without a detector say they are aware of what the detector is but don't feel a need for one at home. This is surprising given that the number of people in the UK with gas stoves, gas boilers, fireplaces and ovens, which are known to be causes of carbon monoxide if faulty. Wine cellars and cooker hoods may also surprise households as potential dangers too.
Nine per cent are unaware of what a carbon monoxide detector is and why they would need one. As an odourless, colourless gas, that can cause serious health issues and even fatalities in worst case scenarios. The best way to detect a carbon monoxide leak is with an alarm detection system.
In 2015, UK Government regulations
came into force stating that every rented property must have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors installed. A carbon monoxide alarm must be placed in any room that’s used as living accommodation and contains a solid fuel burning appliance. They should also be positioned at head height, a few metres away from the potential source according to UK Government recommendations. If this is the case for rented accommodation, homeowners should take note and consider installing detectors themselves.
Simple, inexpensive detectors can be installed easily and conveniently in homes to protect you and your families.